Insuring America’s Favorite Meal
Challenge: WFM was experiencing a decline in store traffic with consumers shopping more online and occasional shoppers defaulting to competitors for weekly grocery shops. WFM needed to drive shoppers in-store yet encourage early shopping for Thanksgiving turkeys to avoid the usual crowds and long lines in the week leading up to the holiday to maintain COVID safety protocols.
Approach: Due to COVID travel restrictions, this Thanksgiving would see more first-time cooks and more individual households celebrating than ever before.
- We created “Thanksgiving Turkey Protection Plan” in partnership with Progressive Insurance, to drive consideration of WFM offerings and encourage customers to shop early by guaranteeing a refund for shoppers who obtained their WFM brand turkey between 11/11 and 11/22 and experienced a turkey fail on Thanksgiving Day.
- We developed a microsite for shoppers to “submit a claim” with their WFM receipt and photo of the turkey fail, created a co-branded launch video with Jamie from Progressive, and teased the news on social by engaging Flo from Progressive.
- Supported with widespread media outreach to top-tier national news, food and lifestyle outlets.
- Won share of voice in a key selling period for a national grocer by securing coverage across top-tier outlets with 100% positive sentiment and 84% key message pull-through.
- Coverage highlights included USA Today, CNN, PEOPLE, Thrillist, FoodNetwork.com, GoodMorningAmerica.com and Travel & Leisure, as well as national broadcast on TODAY Show, CBS This Morning, and The Daily Show with Trevor Noah.
- Most successful PR program in Progressive’s history.