Sidelining Sports Betting Competitors During the Super Bowl
Challenge: With the proliferation of legalized sports betting, FanDuel aimed to establish itself as the differentiated leader in this highly competitive arena and drive new users to the platform in the build up to the Super Bowl – all through the lens of a creative “Kick of Destiny” brand platform and campaign starring NFL star Rob Gronkowski that culminated with a “live” Super Bowl ad.
- Built an integrated communications strategy over the course of six weeks leading up to the Kick to create anticipation and entice new users to place bets on FanDuel’s platform
- Leveraged Gronk, FanDuel execs, talent and dynamic social content to ensure Kick of Destiny was at the forefront of media and consumer conversation leading up to the Super Bowl, but also to inspire fan engagement
- Secured high profile opportunities for Gronk to hype up the kick on one marquee late night and morning show – Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon & GMA
- Hosted a press conference with Gronk on site at Radio Row just days ahead of the kick
- Secured opportunities across Radio Row during Super Bowl week for Gronk, FanDuel TV talent and CEO Amy Howe, including the likes of CNBC, NFL Network, CNN and more.
- Spearheaded on site War Room during Super Bowl to monitor and engage across all social media platforms and actively reach broader consumer audiences outside of sports betting
- Added 2M+ more users to the FanDuel platform than during the previous Super Bowl
- FanDuel owned the Share of Voice amongst all competitors in sports betting, owning 85% of the total SOV. Finished top 4 amongst all SB sponsors in social media SOV
- Earned coverage and conversation from top outlets: AP, Good Morning America, TODAY, Fast Company, People, Variety and Tonight Show
- Enhanced FanDuel’s brand health, customer acquisition and user activity to their highest totals ever, at one point driving upwards of 50k bets/minute